Subclass 189

Skilled Independent Visa

Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)

Skilled Independent 189 Visa


Subclass 189 visa is a skilled independent visa which is comprised of Points-tested stream and New Zealand stream.

This visa allows invited workers and New Zealand citizens with skills that Australia requires to live and work in Australia permanently.

You can apply for this visa whether you are outside or in Australia as long as you can demonstrate that you satisfy the criteria to apply for this visa.


The subclass 189 Skilled Independent visa is a permanent visa. Therefore, when you have this visa, you can stay in Australia permanently, work and study, enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme (Medicare), sponsor your relatives to come to Australia and travel to and from Australia for as many times as you wish.


Points-tested Stream

For the points-tested stream, your occupation must be on the MLTSSL and you must have a valid skills assessment relevant to your occupation. You must also have an Expression of Interest (‘EOI’) with sufficient points and receive an invitation before you can apply for this visa. You must also be under 45 years old at the time of invitation.

New Zealand Stream

For the New Zealand stream, you must be a New Zealand citizen who arrived in Australia as a usual resident in Australia on or before 19 February 2016. You must also meet the 5-year residence requirement and the specified income requirement for at least 3 completed financial years in the 5 years immediately before you apply.


Your points are based on the scores that you are able to achieve in light of your background including your age, English language, employment experience, education qualifications, partner qualifications and so on.

Other factors that may have an impact on your points include Australian study requirement, credentialled community language, Australian professional year, state/territory nomination, regional study and/or specialist educational qualifications.

You can use the calculator tool on the Department’s website. Moreover, it is advisable that you speak to an experienced migration lawyer to advise you on your best course of action, given your claimable points.


You must also satisfy the character and health requirements.

Got a question? Click on the icon below!

Need legal help?

We will help and navigate your migration journey together