Subclass 300

Prospective Marriage visa

Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300)

Prospective Marriage Visa


This visa allows people to come to Australia to marry their prospective spouse (fiancé(e)) within the visa’s nine (9) month validity period.

If you are granted this visa, you should marry your prospective spouse and apply for a Partner (subclasses 820 and 801) visa before your Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) expires.



With this visa, you must enter Australia before you marry your fiance(é), may leave and re- enter Australia as many times as you wish before your visa ceases (nine (9) months after visa grant), can work in Australia, can apply for a Spouse visa in Australia after you marry your fiance(é), can study, but you will not have access to government funding and may use Australia’s medical expenses and hospital care assistance scheme, Medicare, but only if you are in Australia and have already applied for a Spouse visa.


The main purpose of applying for this visa is to allow you to come to Australia, marry your intended spouse, and live together as husband and wife. You must genuinely intend to marry your spouse and live as husband and wife.

You must be sponsored by an eligible sponsor. An eligible sponsor is a Australian citizen or permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen, who undertakes sponsorship obligations. The sponsor is usually your partner who is over the age of 18.



You must be able to legally marry according to Australian law. This means you must be aged 18 years or over. If you are aged 16 years or over but less than 18 years, you must have an Australian court order allowing you to marry your intended spouse, or you must both be of marriageable age at time of the intended marriage.

Your fiancé(e) in Australia can be aged under 18 years if they have an Australian court order allowing them to marry you. In these circumstances, their parent or guardian must be your sponsor and they must be an Australian citizen, a permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen aged 18 years or over.

You must have met (as adults) your intended spouse in person and know him or her personally. This must be the case even if it is an arranged marriage, you and your sponsor met as children and the marriage was arranged before you turned 18 years of age or you met on the internet (exchanging photographs is not evidence of having met in person).


Got a question? Click on the icon below!

Need legal help?

We will help and navigate your migration journey together